Stud welding, also known as “drawn arc stud welding”, joins a welding stud and another piece of metal together by heating both parts with an arc. The welding stud is usually joined to a flat plate by using the stud as one of the electrodes.
The polarity used in stud welding depends on the type of metal being used. Welding aluminum, for example, would usually require direct current electrode positive (DCEP). Welding steel would require direct current electrode negative (DCEN).(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stud_welding)
Sino Stone provides high-performance welding stud for nearly all kinds of steel construction. It can reduce costs through labor and material savings.
Normally there is three types stud welding technique:
- Drawn arc stud welding with ceramic ferrule or shielding gas
- Short-cycle drawn arc stud welding
- Stud welding with tip ignition
|Types of studs and symbols for studs and ceramic ferrules|
|Welding technique||Type of stud||Symbol for studs||Symbol for ceramic ferrules|
|Drawn arc stud welding with ceramic ferrule or shielding gas||Threaded stud(pitch)||PD||PF|
|Threaded stud with reduced shaft||RD||RF|
|Stud with internal thread||ID||UF|
|Short-cycle drawn arc stud welding||Threaded stud with flange(pitch)||PS||-|
|Stud with internal thread||IS||-|
|Stud welding with tip ignition||Threaded stud(pitch)||PT||-|
|Stud with internal thread||IT||-|
|a Further types of stud and ceramic ferrules can be specified as required for special applications.|
The Advantage of Stud Welding
- Time-saving and cost-saving. Unnecessary to drill holes, punch holes, threading, riveting or screw thread. The installation of stud in workpiece surface can be completed within several seconds.
- Wide application range. Suitable for the welding of stud in diameter 3 to 25mm, and workpiece in thickness over 1mm.
- Little distortion of workpiece. No repairing process.
- High intensity of welding joint, equal to or surpass the intensity of base metal.
- After the welding completeness in coated metal or high-alloy metal, there is no marks left on back side.
- High welding efficiency. Usually, six studs can be welded per minute at least.
- Low investment on materials and equipment.